Friday, April 17, 2009

Barn raising!!

I've waited 10 years for this barn raising, and I can't wait to work in my new wood shop.

I love the smell of fresh cut wood, so I get the cutting jobs.

The sunny warm days are a great bonus! The indoor stuff can wait for the cooler days expected next week.


Here's my "boys"... up front, son Alex, son-in-law Rob, Paul (father of young family living in our basement), and Jordan (daughter Tina's boyfriend), helping John raise the 3rd wall of the barn.

We're going for the rustic look with the recycled 3 x 3 posts. Would love an old century barn, but this will have to do... I'm happy!!

With the 3 x 3 posts, this wall is very heavy... so we need lots of strong muscle men to help. First you put them to work, and then you feed them a big roasted turkey as a thank you, haha.
Here's Alex, John (hubby), Rob, Paul & Jordan groaning under the weight of the wall, but it's up. Now, the 4th wall is ready and waiting to be hoisted. John's going to try and use a special lift for it and the massive beam across the width... we'll see if this works, I'm not so sure it will work, but I'll see later on today. till later Frieda

No comments: