Sunday, May 31, 2009

Gables are up!!


Well, it's really happening, I've waited 10 years for this barn, and now it is going up. Every sunny day and spare moment John & I and our kids have, we are building. Rita & Rob came by to add outside cladding on the barn. thanks for your help, it was a fun day together.

Working as a team, Alex and I also cladded the backside of the barn. Once this is up, we are adding vertical board and batten, so this is only the underside. This will give us the option of insulating the barn in future.

With some strong neighbours and our guys, the gable ends went up on Saturday, another beautiful sunny day. We are looking up. We've had a lot of rain lately, but mostly at night, but it's pouring in the downstairs and drenching the tools... I'll be glad when the roof is on.

The guys did a great job of supporting the gables until the ridge poles can be installed. This week will be busy with cutting all the roof trusses.. my job. I'm the mitre saw gal, I love it!!

Spent one full day planting our large veggie garden with Alex and my 89 yr old dad. Alex did such an amazing job at roto-tilling that we could just shove the potatoes in the ground without digging a hole, great job Alex!! In the foreground we have rows of sweet peppers, dozens of Roma tomatoes, rows of potatoes and cucumbers. In the far patch of ground.. lots of onions, zucchini, carrots, herbs and hot peppers etc. I spend a good portion of my summer harvesting, freezing and canning the results... all organic too!!!
till next time Frieda

No comments: