Sunday, June 21, 2009

Fun Times in Peoria!!!



It was great fun with my two painting buddy girlfriends, Anne Shannon & Debbie Kirkpatrick at the Nationals. After a 12 hour drive and a good night's sleep, we were ready to hit the convention tradefloor.
Friday morning couldn't have arrived fast enough for me, I was soooo excited to meet the Heritage Team members that I had never met in person!! This was one of the highlights of the trip. We hugged as if we already knew each other. Aren't the Forums fabulous... we were like old time friends, laughing and getting to know each other... it was great! Miss all of you already! Promised Hazel, someday she'd find me on her doorstep in Australia, but in the meantime, hopefully next year in Wichita.
Dave was busy in his element, surrounded by his paintings. I enjoyed watching him paint so casually, making it look so easy playing with his global paints, and creating one gorgeous soft stroke flower after the other. I understand that he had a large door that he was planning on painting at the booth, but underestimated the size... it block most the front access into the booth, so that idea was scrapped real quick.
Dave the wood guy had prepared a set of three wooden trays and plaques as a show special... what a great deal... if you missed it, I'm sure you could still get a set at Jansenartstudio, I bought two sets, ready for some great paintings.
Here, our guy Paul is having fun sharing make and take teaching with attendees, painting out simple roses and leaves... they ran out of surfaces after two days of painting... proving there was lots of interest. While attendance wasn't the greatest this year... those who came had a great time with lots of make and takes at various booths. Lots of inspiration all around, and of course plenty of surfaces and painting supplies to stock our cupboards. I hauled away a ton of brushes, again... but I really love my brushes!! and couldn't resist Dave's latest DVD on Limited Color Palette (Jessica had finished the final printing in her hotel room the night before, so they were fresh off the press, haha). Also, finally added the Marquetry DVD series to my educational library... this was on my wishlist for some time... and my son expressed interest in giving this art form a try. I have heard it is appealing to men, how interesting, but I love it as well. Found a large wooden plate for my next Rosemaling Retreat, can't wait to schedule it.
The Certification rooms were overflowing with lots of amazing works of art. Georgia and Paul both gave it a good go, but there is always next year, sorry you didn't make it this year. Marking seemed a little tougher this year from the comments I heard from several folks who had submitted, not sure why?
Some of the gals on the Heritage Team... meet Hazel Anthony, Cathy Seymour, Bobbie Koelsch, Georgia Dawbon and me.. Frieda Krugel. Arlene Newman was also at convention. I met her on-the-run during her lunch break between teaching classes... so glad I did!!!

Here's Bobbie, Martha, Paul & Cathy, and Jessica. They were so busy making up color charts for laminating... never a wasted moment when there is so much education to share.


Just outside the Convention Center, Anne, Debbie & I waited for our hotel shuttle to take us back to our car for the long ride home. Soaking up the last of the 90 degree weather that we were having, to arrive back home where apparently it had been cold and raining for the past four days.
We left Peoria at 3 pm, and with a few detours arrived home at 5:30 a.m. in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada, tired but also inspired to get those brushes wet and paint up a storm.... but first a good night's rest and relaxing Father's Day. Tomorrow we begin. till later Frieda

1 comment:

Bobbie Koelsch said...

Frieda,

It was great to meet you and your friends. We are so glad you made the long drive down and made it home safely.

We so appreciate everything you are doing for the team and your genuine concern that this manual is in tip-top shape.

Until the next time,

Bobbie